My Profile and the Wall are two ways for staff to directly share personal information, updates, photos, or articles with their coworkers.
In This Article
When a user clicks on My Profile link in the upper top right of any intranet page (as long as an Admin has made it available; learn more about Admin Design Tab options for the Intranet Toolbar), they land on their individual profile page, which is visible to all employees in the organization. My Profile is a combination of automatically populated information and information added directly by the employee.
From the Intranet Connections Blog
My Profile Settings
Users have several settings they can alter via My Profile. To access settings, users click on My Profile top right, then click the wrench as shown below (1).
Now users can alter:
- Chat Options - set online status, login preference, and new message alert preference
- Wall Options - eliminate your wall or choose to show any and all comments without requiring a click
- Default Home Page - set your profile page to show when you land on the site rather than the intranet Home Page
Note that the above user settings can be overridden by site settings; learn more about the Admin settings for Employee Profile.
Edit My Profile
As shown in the image above, users can also navigate to their profile and click on the Edit pencil (2) to edit their profile. Users can then change any fields that they have the rights to modify; learn more about Admin settings for editing profile fields.
Available fields for editing show an edit pencil when users mouse over the field. Once the pencil is clicked, any further editing options will be revealed, such as a full html editing toolbar. For all editing fields, users have the options (as circled below in green) to either click the blue icon and save their changes, or cancel and return to their profile.
An employee's status displays on their Profile page, as well as on their Employee Card in the directory. Staff may want to use their status to show their current project, whether they're currently in a meeting, if they're out of the office on vacation, etc. Directly below Status is Future Status, which allows you to specify applicable dates and times for a future status.
To add a Status or Future Status for the first time, click the green + as shown below. Once a status is in place, either click the edit pencil to update it, or the green + again to completely replace the status.
Did You Know...Video
The Organizational Chart allows employees to see at a glance who someone reports to, as well as any direct reports to that individual. The org chart will always show this three layered process unless hierarchical information hasn't been entered, the user selected doesn't have a person they report to, or there's no one who reports to them.
To access the org chart for an employee, locate the Card for the employee and click on their name to access their profile. Click the [view chart] link to see the employee's org chart, if available. The second image shows a sample org chart.
The wall is an optional area on each employee profile page that allows users to post messages and share information with other users, or for coworkers to post information for that user. The wall can be turned on or off for all employees by an Admin (learn more about Admin settings for the wall) or turned off by a user themself if they don't want the feature.
A user must have a login and be part of the staff directory to have a wall. Users can view any employee's wall, as well as a consolidated wall for all their colleagues (click Colleagues in the personal sidebar, then colleagues activity). Comments allow users to be social in response to others' wall posts.
How to Add a Wall Post
After clicking My Profile or My Dashboard from any page on the intranet, click the Wall link on the right which will take you to your own Wall. Click the link to write on your wall as shown below. This will open a text box, with an optional html editor you can access by clicking on the small black arrow on the right.
When your post is complete, click the Post button. Follow the same process whether you're posting to your own wall or to another employee's wall - the only difference is that you'd click post on this wall to get started.
Commenting on posts is just as easy. Locate a post that you'ld like to comment on. Depending on the settings and the number of comments, either click on the (x) Comments or Add Comments link. Start typing, click the small black arrow on the right to access the html editor if needed, and click the Post Comment button when done.
Edit Wall Posts
Editing a wall post - whether yours or someone else's - is straightforward. Mouse over the post you want to edit and you'll see controls as shown below. Here you can:
- add the post to your favorites (access favorited posts by clicking my favorite posts at the top of your wall)
- share the post
- edit the post
- delete the post
If you have a select group of coworkers who are more relevant to your work life, you may want to add them as Colleagues so you can more closely and easily follow their activities.
To do this:
- Go to the Employee Directory and locate a coworker you'd like to add as a Colleague.
- Click the stars on their Employee Card and they're now a Colleague. If they do the same for you, then you're mutually following each other.
To view Colleagues' activity all in one place, click My Profile or My Dashboard from any page on the intranet, click the Colleagues link on the right, then click Colleagues activity as shown in the image below. You'll now see all of your Colleagues' wall posts in one place.
If the employee widgets feature has been turned on for Employee Profiles (learn more about Admin settings for Employee Profiles) employees can create a personal page of widgets which is only accessible to them. This can be a useful feature for adding Application or Blog feeds, feeds of coworkers' birthdays, etc.
To add widgets:
- Click My Profile or My Dashboard from any page on the intranet
- Click the Widgets link on the right
- You'll see a blank page; click on the edit link to start adding widgets - learn more about widgets in the Widget Overview article
Available widgets are a limited selection of the widgets available elsewhere on the intranet.
If there's a link that you frequently access within your intranet, it can be helpful to add an intranet bookmark to get to the page more quickly, just as you would for an internet website.
To add a bookmark:
- When you're on a page you want to bookmark, click Toolbox on the right.
- Click Bookmark and you'll see the following box:
- Type a title for the link.
- Choose whether you want the link to open within the same window or in a new window.
- Click Add and close the box to complete the process.
To access the bookmark you just created, click My Profile or My Dashboard from any page on the intranet, then click the Bookmarks link on the right. You can repeat this entire process for non-intranet bookmarks as well.
Users can subscribe to an App, which means that they'll receive alerts when new content is added. A subscription can be an efficient way of keeping up to date on intranet content.
To subscribe to an area:
- When you're in an area of the intranet you want to subscribe to, click Toolbox on the right.
- Click Subscribe and you'll see the following box:
- You can choose whether you want alerts only within the intranet or also by email, and the type of alerts you want to receive, as shown in the above image.
- Click Save and close the box to complete the process.
Alerts will now show in My Dashboard; learn more about the My Dashboard feature.
When you click on Alerts you'll see a Manage Subscriptions link. Clicking the link shows a page with a section for Manage Subscriptions and Wall Alerts.
Manage Subscriptions gives several options. You can:
- View my subscriptions - most importantly, you can see what subscriptions you currently have; click the edit pencil to make changes to your subscriptions. If you want to unsubscribe entirely, ensure [ none ] shows for all alerts, check the boxes for each folder, and click Save.
- Set my alerts - choose an Application and folder(s) as applicable, and choose whether you want to receive Alerts on the intranet site, by email, or both
- Push user alerts - select a user, then select the Application you want to push Alerts for (this feature is only available for Admins and Super Admins)
- Push group alerts - select a group, then select the Application you want to push Alerts for (this feature is only available for Admins and Super Admins)
For Wall Alerts, after clicking the name link to expand the area, you can choose whether to receive site and/or email alerts when someone posts on your wall, comments on your post, or comments on any post that you've commented on. Click Save to complete the Alert process.