Company News is an application, or App, which can be used to post any news for the company such as promotions, retirements, company updates, or birth announcements.
The Company News App is one of our most popular, as it can be used in a variety of ways to share information with staff. Using Company News on Team or Department Sites is an effective way of sharing specific types of news such as HR updates or project news; learn more about sites.
Build Your Company News
Start by following the process to add an App to a site.
Once you have the App in place, on the App Card change the title and/or description if you want to customize it for your intranet or for this specific use of Company News. Click Create if you'll return to it later, or Build if you want to start customizing or adding content right away.
Default Company News Layout
The Company News App comes with a standard layout for its default home page, List View, and Item View, as shown with sample content below. All layouts can be customized. Note that if there's only one folder, the Home Page will look like the List View.
Customize Company News
As with all Apps, there are many ways to customize. When you're in the App, click Toolbox (top right) and App Admin to access the settings.
Other than the name and description, you can:
- Choose which fields to display - click Manage Fields to view the current fields on Company News. If you mouse over a field you will get the crosshairs which allow you to hold and drag the field to reposition it, or you can click the edit pencil to show more options or the red circle to delete the field. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Change the layout - edit the layout of the App Home page, List View, or Item View. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
- Use folders to group contents - click Folders | Security to add, rename, or delete folders to categorize Company News listings. Click on the folder name to adjust the security of that folder. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Add an approval function - click Approval Workflow, then click on a folder name to assign an Approval Manager workflow by folder. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Advertise items - click Advertising Options, then click on a folder name to determine whether items in that folder will be advertised to the site homepage. Typically for Company News, default advertising is turned on so all items appear in the What's New feed on the Home Page. Learn more about advertising options in the App Overview article.
These are just a few of the many ways you can customize the Company News application so it fits with your goals.