The Library ensures that company resources which aren’t available online are organized and available for employees to use.
In large organizations there are many resources available to employees, some of which may not be online (e.g. books, DVDs). Once offline Library resources have been added to the Library, employees can easily check out items.
The lending department lending the materials can specify if the item will be picked up or sent to the employee, the length of the loan period, and get notified about overdues. When the item is ready to be returned, employees can select ‘check-in’ on the resource listing.
Build Your Library
Start by following the process to add an App to a site.
Once you have the App in place, on the App Card change the title and/or description if you want to customize it for your intranet. You might want to name it something that relates to your company, or have a contest for employees to create a name. Click Create if you'll return to it later, or Build if you want to start customizing or adding content right away.
Default Library Layout
The Library App comes with a standard layout for its default home page, List View, and Item View, as shown with sample content below. For the Library App, you'll need to add at least one Category in order to start adding content. Note that all layouts can be customized.
As with all Apps, there are many ways to customize. When you're in the App, click Toolbox (top right) and App Admin to access the settings.
Other than the name and description, you can:
- Choose which fields to display - click Manage Fields to view the current fields on the Library. If you mouse over a field you will get the crosshairs which allow you to hold and drag the field to reposition it, or you can click the edit pencil to show more options or the red circle to delete the field. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Change the layout - edit the layout of the App Home page, List View, or Item View. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
- Use categories to group contents - click Manage Categories to add, rename, or delete Categories to group Library listings. Click on the folder name to adjust the security of that Category. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Add an approval function - click Approval Workflow, then click on a folder name to assign an Approval Manager workflow by folder. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Advertise items - click Advertising Options, then click on a folder name to determine whether items in that folder will be advertised to the site homepage.
These are just a few of the many ways you can customize the Library application so it fits with your goals.